Teatime May Help Optimize Ovarian Health
All teas--green, black, and herbal--appear to protect against ovarian cancer
Studies tend to agree that tea drinking may lower ovarian cancer risk. Since the other known protections include pregnancy and regular birth control pill use, adding tea is an easily adopted part of a prevention program.
To keep your ovaries functioning optimally, try the following:
- Make teatime a habit. Studies suggest that women need to drink tea daily in order to reduce ovarian cancer risk.
- Pick what you like. No one type of tea seems to lower ovarian cancer risk better than any other. Drink whatever you like, whether it's green, black, or herbal tea.
- Pay attention to your body. The symptoms of ovarian cancer, such as bloating and indigestion, can be vague and easily dismissed. Trust your instincts and see your doctor if anything feels off in your body.
- Keep your diet colorful. In addition to tea, research points to a diet rich in vegetables and fruit as a way to reduce ovarian cancer risk.
- Stay lean. Some studies suggest obesity may increase ovarian cancer risk. Maintain a healthy body weight for best health--of your ovaries and your entire body.
- Exercise regularly. Regular aerobic exercise--such as brisk walking, running, swimming, or exercise classes--is one more way to keep your ovaries in tip-top shape.