Basic Baked Custard
Serve custard by itself, or try it with fresh fruit, your favorite preserves, maple syrup or caramel sauce.
- 3 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg or cinnamon, optional
- Heat oven to 350F. Heat milk in small saucepan until very hot. Milk should be steaming, but not bubbling. Meanwhile, beat eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt in medium bowl until blended but not foamy; slowly stir in hot milk.
- Place six lightly greased 6 oz. custard cups in baking pan large enough to hold cups without touching each other or sides of pan. Pour egg mixture into cups, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon, if desired.
- Place pan on rack in center of 350F oven; pour very hot water into pan to within 1/2 inch of top of cups. Bake until knife inserted near center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes; center will still be soft. Remove cups from water bath at once; cool on wire rack 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or refrigerate until cold.
Calories from Fat 54 (31%)
(9%)Total Fat 6g
(15%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 23g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.