Basic Souffle Omelet
For a sweet souffle omelet, substitute a pinch of sugar for the salt. Fill with preserves or fruit. Top with powdered sugar or dessert sauce.
- 4 eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar or lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp butter or vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 350F. Combine egg whites, water and cream of tartar in large mixer bowl. Beat on high speed until stiff but not dry, just until whites no longer slip when bowl is tilted.
- Beat egg yolks and salt in small mixer bowl on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Gently but thoroughly fold yolks into whites.
- Heat butter in 10-inch nonstick omelet pan or skillet with ovenproof handle over medium-high heat until hot. Pour in egg mixture; gently smooth surface. Reduce heat to medium. Cook until omelet is puffed and lightly browned on bottom, about 5 minutes. (lift omelet at edge with spatula to judge color.)
- Place pan in 350F oven. Bake until knife inserted halfway between center and outer edge comes out clean, 10 to 12 minutes. Loosen omelet edge with spatula. Serve immediately.
Calories from Fat 59 (37%)
(6%)Total Fat 4g
(20%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 2g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.