BBQ Mexican Shrimp with Hoisin Sauce & Watermelon Salsa
A salsa of jalapeno peppers, watermelon chunks, onion, and cilantro makes an interesting pairing alongside shrimp skewers.
- 36 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, roasted, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- 12 6-inch wooden skewers
- Salsa3 cups watermelon, seedless, diced fine
- 1/2 cup red onion, fine diced
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, fine diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped fine
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ginger, chopped fine
- Soak the skewers in hot water for 20 minutes. Marinate the cleaned shrimp in the olive oil, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, green onions and hoisin sauce. Skewer three shrimp on each of the 12 skewers.
- Combine the diced watermelon, red onion, peppers, and cilantro. Add the remaining ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Grill the shrimp skewers two to three minutes on each side. Mound the salsa on the center of a serving plate and place the skewer directly on the salsa. Using a squirt bottle, drizzle the hoisin sauce over the shrimp skewer. Garnish with three sprigs of cilantro, one in each corner of the plate. Place a lemon wheel at the point of the skewer.
Recipe courtesy of the National Fisheries Institute
Nutrition Note: You can easily have shrimp once or twice a week and never have the same meal. And remember, shrimp can definitely be part of a heart-healthy, low cholesterol diet.
Calories from Fat 34 (44%)
(6%)Total Fat 4g
(3%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 6g
(2%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.