Beef Tenderloin with Wild Mushroom Grits
The mixture of shitake, oyster and cremini mushrooms bring complex flavor to traditional steak dinner.
- 1 center-cut beef tenderloin roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 3 Tbs fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 lb assorted wild mushrooms (oyster, cremini and shiitake), coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper
- cooked grits
- Heat oven to 425F. Combine thyme and pepper; reserve 1 tablespoon for mushrooms. Press remaining seasoning mixture evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425F oven 35 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 45 to 50 minutes for medium doneness.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135F for medium rare; 150F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10F to reach 145F for medium rare; 160F for medium.)
- Meanwhile melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and 1 tablespoon reserved seasoning; cook and stir about 7 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Keep warm.
- Carve roast into slices. Serve over grits, as desired; top with mushrooms.
Calories from Fat 127 (35%)
(22%)Total Fat 14g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 21g
(11%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.