Brazilian Pork Salad with Tangerine Vinaigrette
With a base of leafy green kale, the mild flavor of this pretty, nutritious salad contrasts nicely with the citrus and pineapple.
- 1 1/2 lbs pork tenderloin, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium bunch kale
- 2 tsp ground coriander, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup tangerine juice
- 1 tsp red pepper, flakes
- 1 1/4 cups pineapple, fresh slices, cubed, divided
- 1/2 cup cilantro, fresh, snipped, divided
- 4 tangerines, peeled and sectioned or 2 navel oranges
- Stack kale leaves and roll up tightly; slice crosswise into very thin strips; place in serving bowl. Add drained black beans.
- Season pork strips with 1 teaspoon coriander, salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large non-stick skillet over high heat. Stir-fry pork strips until they are golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Place pork strips in serving bowl with black beans and kale.
- In blender, combine citrus juices, remaining tablespoon olive oil, red pepper flakes, 1/4 cup pineapple cubes, remaining 1 teaspoon coriander, 1/4 cup cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth.
- Add tangerine sections and remaining pineapple cubes to salad bowl. Toss salad with dressing. Garnish with remaining cilantro and toasted coconut.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Substitution Tip: Canned pineapple rings in natural juices, cut into cubes, may be substituted for fresh pineapple.
Cooking Tip: To toast coconut, spread on shallow cookie sheet and toast in 325 F. oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally to toast evenly.
Calories from Fat 83 (24%)
(14%)Total Fat 9g
(11%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 35g
(35%)Dietary Fiber 9g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.