Bread Pudding with Dried Cherries and Caramel Sauce
The combination of simple ingredients brings classic bread pudding to new decadent heights.
- Bread Pudding:4 cups cubed (1/2 inch pieces) cinnamon swirl bread (about 8 slices)
- 2/3 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups half and half or whole milk
- Caramel Sauce:3/4 cup sugar
- 6 Tbs butter
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Bread Pudding:Place bread cubes in a buttered 11x7-inch baking dish or oval 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle cherries over bread. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Stir in half and half until well blended. Pour over bread mixture, pressing down on bread to coat with egg mixture. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Bake in a 350F oven 40 to 45 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Caramel Sauce:Combine sugar, butter, corn syrup and 1/2 cup of the cream in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Boil, uncovered until the sauce is thickened and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Gradually stir in remaining 1 cup cream and salt. Return to a boil, stirring constantly. Serve bread pudding warm or at room temperature with warm or room temperature caramel sauce.
Substitution Tip: In place of pre-made cinnamon swirl bread, use regular bread with a teaspoon or less of cinnamon.
Calories from Fat 194 (37%)
(34%)Total Fat 22g
(61%)Saturated Fat 12g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrate 76g
(10%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.