Cajun Barbecued Shrimp n' Grits with Tasso Gravy
Bring a taste of New Orleans to your plate with classic shrimp and grits.
- Barbecued Shrimp2 lbs extra large (26/30) shrimp (peeled & deveined)
- 3 Tbs Cajun blackening seasoning
- 3 Tbs barbecue spice
- 1/2 cup pomace olive oil
- Tasso Gravy1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup tasso or other peppered pork, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 Tbs barbecue spice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 2 Tbs chopped parsley
- Grits8 oz smoked peppered bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh garlic
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup quick grits
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan
- dash salt
- dash black pepper
- Chopped scallions (garnish)
- Season shrimp with blackening seasoning and barbecue spice. Heat large skillet until very hot over high flame, add oil and carefully add raw seasoned shrimp, tossing quickly to blacken shrimp. When just done, remove to plate and set aside.
- In same skillet, add butter and tasso and saute for approximately 5 minutes over medium heat. Add flour and barbecue spice and stir to form a roux, continue to cook until roux is lightly browned and nutty in aroma.
- Add chicken stock and half & half and stir until completely thickened; adjust thickness as needed with a little more half & half. When sauce is complete, add shrimp and parsley to sauce and keep warm until ready to serve.
- For the grits, saute onions and bacon in skillet until caramelized and deeply browned, add garlic last to prevent garlic from burning. Place chicken stock in sauce pan and bring to a rapid boil, add grits and cook while stirring continuously until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add cooked bacon until onions along with any pan juices and stir in cheddar cheese and parmesan. Adjust seasonings with salt and black pepper.
- To assemble, place a generous amount of grits in the center of a serving plate or bowl and top with barbecued shrimp and tasso gravy. Garnish with chopped scallions and extra cheddar cheese.
Recipe courtesy of the National Fisheries Institute
Calories from Fat 456 (61%)
(79%)Total Fat 51g
(99%)Saturated Fat 20g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 23g
Total Carbohydrate 28g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.