Calimyrna Fig Sour Cream Cake with Caramel Cream Sauce
A delicious and non-traditional birthday cake made for the person in your life who craves adventurous flavors.
- Caramel Sauce1/4 cup sweet butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbs heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 3/4 cup cream
- Cake12 dried California Calimyrna figs
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 4 oz butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole egg, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- For Caramel Sauce, combine butter, brown sugar, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt, and fennel seeds in a saucepan. Heat to a boil; remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Stir in cream until smooth. Reserve 1/4 cup of sauce. Set all aside.
- For Cake, remove and discard stems from figs; cut lengthwise into quarters, then slice crosswise about 1/4 inch thick to make 1 1/2 cups; set aside. Zest or grate peel from lemon, and set aside. Do not discard peeled lemon.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour twelve, 1-cup ramekins or small foil cups; set aside on baking sheet.
- Combine butter and sugar in mixing bowl; blend with spoon or electric mixer until creamy. Beat in egg and egg yolk separately.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl; mix well, and stir into egg mixture, a little at a time.
- In same small bowl, combine sour cream, buttermilk, and vanilla; blend well; stir into flour-butter mixture just until smooth. Do not over mix. Spoon 3 tablespoons batter into each prepared ramekin.
- Divide and sprinkle fig pieces and lemon zest, evenly, over all. Divide and spoon 1 tablespoon Caramel Sauce onto each small cake.
- Bake at 350F for approximately 15 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and toothpick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean. Cool in molds for at least 15 minutes before turning onto wire racks to cool completely.
- To serve, turn cakes sauce-side up and dust with powdered sugar. Just before serving, combine 1/4 cup reserved Caramel Sauce with 3/4 cup cream and stir until smooth, adding a little lemon juice, if desired, and serve in pitcher to pour over cakes.
Calories from Fat 159 (48%)
(27%)Total Fat 18g
(55%)Saturated Fat 11g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 41g
(6%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.