Castilian Braised Chicken
This Spanish-inspired chicken is perfect for a simple, but tasty weeknight meal.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 whole chicken legs, thighs attached
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (10 oz.) yellow onion, sliced
- 1 (12 oz.) eggplant, diced (1 1/2-inch)
- 1 (8 oz.) green bell pepper, diced (1-inch)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp crushed cumin seed
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned, diced tomatoes
- 1 cup olives, whole, pitted
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 Tbs toasted pine nuts
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof saute pan or baking dish over medium-high heat. Add chicken legs, skin side down, season with salt and pepper and brown for 5 minutes. Transfer to a clean plate and set aside. Stir in onions, eggplant, peppers and carrots and saute for 5-6 minutes. Sprinkle with cumin and paprika and cook for 1 more minute. Pour in chicken broth, tomatoes, olives and wine and bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan and bake in a 400F oven for 1 hour. Garnish with toasted pine nuts before serving.
Calories from Fat 116 (41%)
(21%)Total Fat 13g
(10%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 20g
(31%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.