Chicken and Sweet Potato-Orange Dumplings
This version of classic chicken and dumplings includes mashed sweet potatoes and orange zest in the dough.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces, or any combination of chicken parts
- 3 tsp salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
- 3 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 8 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 large oranges, zested and then sliced thinly
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Combine 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper; season chicken with mixture. In soup pot, pour 1 tablespoon olive oil and warm over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces, about 4 at a time and brown, turning, about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken to plate and set aside. Add wine to pot; raise heat and boil 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, peppercorns, bay leaves, onion, carrots and celery. Return chicken to pot. Cover, bring to a boil, and uncover pot. Reduce heat to low and simmer 45 minutes.
- While soup simmers, make dumpling dough. Place sweet potato slices in small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook until very soft, about 20 minutes; transfer to large bowl. Using fork, mash sweet potato pieces to a puree; let cool. Add flour, beaten egg, remaining olive oil, orange zest and remaining one teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix with spoon until mixture forms dough-like consistency. Divide dough in half and use floured rolling pin to roll out each half separately to 1/8" thickness. Cut dough into 3/4" x 2" strips using a floured knife.
- Transfer chicken from broth to a cutting board and let cool. Strain broth, return to pot and boil over medium heat for 15 minutes, while chicken is cooling. Remove all skin and bones from chicken and tear by hand into smaller pieces. Return chicken to pot, turn heat down to low, and add dumpling strips. Continue cooking over low heat until dumplings are cooked through, about 5 - 8 minutes. Add frozen peas after about 3 minutes. Serve soup, chicken and dumplings in large bowls garnished with parsley and orange slices.
Calories from Fat 177 (26%)
(31%)Total Fat 20g
(20%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Total Carbohydrate 68g
(35%)Dietary Fiber 9g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.