Chicken Taco Soup
More of a main dish, this zesty soup can be varied with zucchini or other veggies and garnished with low-fat sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and cheese.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil (5mL)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounce, 425g) garbanzo beans
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen or fresh)
- 2 cups white meat chicken, cut into 1-inch (2.5cm) cubes
- 2 cups tortilla chips, reduced fat
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and saute until tender.
- Add oregano, chili powder, cumin, and garlic, and saute for one minute more.
- Add chicken broth, water, tomato sauce, and corn, and cook for about 15 minutes more.
- Add chicken pieces and garbanzo beans and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 more minutes, until the chicken pieces are completely cooked.
- Ladle into bowls and place about 1/3 cup tortilla chips (20g) on top of the soup. Sprinkle cilantro on top of the tortilla chips and serve.
Calories from Fat 86 (35%)
(15%)Total Fat 10g
(8%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 27g
(15%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.