Citrus Beet Salad
This hearty nutrient-packed winter salad with beets and grapefruit is the perfect antidote to an "empty calorie" binge.
- 5 medium beets, stems removed
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 grapefruit, peeled
- 1 cup sprouts
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Wash beets and pat dry. Place beets on a sheet of aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil. Fold foil around the beets to create a sealed pouch. Place the pouch on a cookie sheet and bake until beets are tender. Cooking time varies on the size of the beets. After 30 minutes, pierce the beets with a fork. If they are still hard, return to the oven and test them every 15 minutes until they are tender.
- Remove from oven and stand until they are cool enough to handle. Use your hands to peel away the skin. Slice into bite size wedges and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Line the bottom of a large bowl with sprouts and top with beets and grapefruit. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and goat cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Calories from Fat 65 (40%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(14%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 20g
(17%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.