Classic Beans and Rice
This recipe comes by way of the TJ Ranch in Puerto Rico.
- 1 lb pinto beans, uncooked
- 6 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium ham hock
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups rice, uncooked
- Rinse beans and pick out any stones.
- Soak beans overnight in water, or, if preparing the same day, place beans in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes and then turn off heat. Soak beans in the cooking water for 1 hour.
- Add all the remamining ingredients to the soaked beans, cover, and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and cook over medium heat for for 1 hour.
- Remove ham hock and place on a cutting board. Cool for a few minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut away the fatty skin and remove the meat from the bone. Chop meat into small pieces and return to pot and continue to cook for 1 hour more. The liquid will have boiled down to a thick, brown sauce, and the beans should be soft, but not mushy.
- Prepare rice: Place rice and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Without uncovering, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 18 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve beans over rice.
Calories from Fat 13 (5%)
(2%)Total Fat 1g
(2%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 50g
(16%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.