Classic Beef Pot Roast with Root Vegetables
This classic version of beef pot roast is sure to become a tradition in your house.
- 1 boneless beef chuck shoulder, arm or blade pot roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 lb small red-skinned potatoes (about 1-1/2-inch diameter), cut in half
- 1 lb carrots, peeled, cut diagonally into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 Tbs all-purpose flour dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Seasoning2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves, crushed
- Combine seasoning ingredients; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef pot roast. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place pot roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add broth to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/4 hours. Add potatoes, carrots and onion to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, covered, 25 to 30 minutes or until pot roast and vegetables are fork-tender. Stir in peas; simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove pot roast and vegetables; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid, if necessary. Measure 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid and return to stockpot; stir in flour mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Carve pot roast into thin slices; serve with vegetables and gravy. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Substitution: Beef bottom round or beef round rump roast may be substituted for shoulder, arm or blade pot roast. Simmer 2-1/2 hours before adding vegetables.
Calories from Fat 65 (26%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 21g
(13%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.