Coconut French Toast with Rum-Infused Caramelized Bananas
This tropical twist on French toast will have you going bananas in you cabana.
- 4 thick slices of challah bread
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbs butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs orange juice
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp dark rum
- 1 tsp coconut-flavored rum
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Place bread slices in the bowl and allow bread to soak up egg mixture for 5 minutes. Turn over and soak bread for an additional 5 minutes.
- In a nonstick skillet, fry the bread over medium heat. Flip bread and continue to cook until both sides are lightly browned. Put French toast on a cookie sheet and place in the preheated oven to stay warm. Repeat until all bread is fried and placed in the oven.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a nonstick pan. Add sugar and orange juice then whisk until mixture starts to bubble and brown. Carefully pour in coconut milk, milk, and rum; stir until combined. Add sliced bananas and cook for 2 minutes, flipping half way through.
- To serve, plate French toast and top with caramelized banana mixture. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or toasted coconut.
Calories from Fat 99 (24%)
(18%)Total Fat 11g
(27%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 66g
(15%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.