Corn, Red Pepper, and Zucchini Chowder
To get layers of flavor, we use every part of each ingredient. For this recipe, we use corn cobs to make a rich stock first, and then we use the stock to enhance the corn flavor of the chowder.
- 8 ears fresh corn, kernels sliced from cob and cobs reserved, about 4 cups
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 leeks, rinsed well and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 6 medium Idaho potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 bunch fresh chives, sliced into 3/4-inch strips
- Combine the corn cobs and stock in a large stockpot over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the cobs with a slotted spoon and discard. Reserve 6 cups of the stock and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, ramps, and red pepper and sweat for 4 minutes, until tender.
- Add the thyme, bay leaves, salt, and cayenne and stir to coat the vegetables. Add the corn, potatoes, and reserved stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, partially cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Remove the bay leaves and puree about one quarter of the chowder in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return the puree to the pot and mix well. Remove from the heat and stir in the fresh garlic.
- To serve, ladle the chowder into bowls and top with sliced chives.
Recipe courtesy of The Daily Soup Cookbook by Leslie Kaul, Bob Spiegel, Carla Ruben, and Peter Siegel with Robin Vitetta-Miller. Copyright 1999 Carla Ruben, Bob Spiegel and Peter Siegel. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Calories from Fat 63 (22%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(15%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 49g
(24%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.