Creole-Flavored Beef Soup
Richly flavored gravy surrounds the beef shanks in this Creole-inspired soup.
- 3 to 4 lbs beef shank cross cuts, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups hot cooked rice (optional)
- Combine beef, 4 cups water, tomatoes, onion, celery, garlic, bouillon cubes, salt, black pepper and red pepper in Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 hours.
- Remove cross cuts. Remove beef from bones; cut into small pieces. Skim fat from soup. Stir in beef, cabbage and bell pepper; continue cooking, covered, 30 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender. Stir in lemon juice. Serve with rice.
Recipe courtesy of the National Cattleman's Beef Association
Calories from Fat 179 (48%)
(30%)Total Fat 20g
(38%)Saturated Fat 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrate 6g
(6%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.