Curried Pork and Apple Salad
Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger
In this recipe that uses leftover roasted pork, tart Granny Smith apples impart an extra crisp flavor.
- 1 1/4 cups leftover roasted pork, cut into 1/2 inch diced
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 Tbs mayonnaise, to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp curry powder, or garam masala, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 6 leaves green leaf lettuce
- Plum Pepper Pork Sauce, for serving1/3 cup shallot, or red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups purple plums, or plouts, chopped
- 2 Tbs brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup pinot noir, or other dry red wine
- 2 Tbs butter
- Combine diced pork, apples, celery, and scallions in bowl. Set aside. Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, and curry powder or garam masala. Add to pork mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Line two serving plates with lettuce leaves. Divide pork salad in half and place a mound in center of each plate. Serve accompanied by leftover Plum Pepper Pork sauce.
- Plum Pepper Pork SauceHeat a large saute pan over medium heat and add shallot, salt, and cracked black pepper. Saute until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add plums and saute until they start to soften and brown. Add brown sugar and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted and bubbling. Add wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen all the browned bits. Continue cooking, for about 12 minutes, stirring frequently, until liquid is reduced by half and mixture becomes a chunky sauce. Stir in butter and remove from heat.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Calories from Fat 156 (38%)
(27%)Total Fat 18g
(34%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 25g
(11%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.