Curried Shrimp with Coconut Rice
Coconut milk and curry powder surround the shrimp with sweet aroma.
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine or white rice, dry
- 1 14 ounce can lite coconut milk, divided
- 2 Tbs canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large red pepper, sliced into thin strips (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Tbs curry powder, divided
- 1 10 ounce bag prewashed baby spinach (about 6 packed cups)
- 1 lb shrimp, (16-20 count), (shelled and deveined)
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the rice as directed, using 3/4 cup of the coconut milk in place of 3/4 cup of water. Set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, and 2 teaspoons of the curry powder, and cook until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until it wilts, about 3 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan.
- Return the skillet to the stove and heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, along with the remaining 1 teaspoon of curry powder, and cook about 2 minutes per side. Return the vegetables to the pan. Add the remaining 1 cup of coconut milk, combine, and heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over the coconut rice.
Recipe courtesy of the National Fisheries Institute
Calories from Fat 159 (41%)
(27%)Total Fat 18g
(40%)Saturated Fat 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 30g
(14%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.