Easy Baked Fish
In the area of food and phytonutrient research, the studies on the lycopene in tomatoes have been extensive. This carotenoid has been shown to have antioxidant and cancer-preventing properties. The tomatoes become sweet when baked, so it's a good way to get children to eat fish.
- 6 cod, sole, or flounder fillets, 6 ounces (170 g) each
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbs fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Place the fillets in a lightly oiled baking dish and drizzle with the lemon juice.
- Warm 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add the parsley, chopped tomatoes, and water. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the fish, sprinkle with the thyme, and top each fillet with overlapping tomato and lemon slices. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) oil. Cover and bake for 15 minutes, or until the fish is opaque in the center when tested with a knife. Serve warm.
Copyright 2005 by Evelyn H. Lauder
Calories from Fat 52 (24%)
(9%)Total Fat 6g
(4%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 8g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.