Easy Lamb Creole Gumbo
Bring a taste of New Orleans to your table with this savory lamb gumbo.
- 1 pound American Lamb leg or shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sliced okra, defrosted
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- Coat lamb with flour. In large pan with cover, heat oil over medium-hot heat. Add lamb and brown. Stir in tomatoes, broth, wine, parsley, lemon, salt, thyme, bay leaf and garlic. Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours.
- Add okra and black-eyed peas. Cook 10 to 15 additional minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Cooking Lamb: Lamb should be juicy and tender when cooked. Tender lamb cuts can be prepared using dry heat - roasting, broiling, grilling, pan-broiling and pan-frying. Less tender cuts are best prepared using moist heat - braising and stewing.
Calories from Fat 92 (26%)
(16%)Total Fat 10g
(13%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 36g
(25%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.