Fat-Free Gingerbread Cookies
A delicious fat-free version of the holiday classic.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp maple extract
- 1 Tbs chai concentrate (optional)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup candied ginger
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (for coating)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (for coating)
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, molasses, apple sauce, vanilla extract, maple extract, chai concentrate. Beat with an electric mixer for about 4 minutes, until smooth. Add egg whites and beat for another minute until well combined.
- Slowly whisk in dry ingredients and beat until completely incorporated. Stir in candied ginger. Chill dough from at least 1 hour to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or grease with cooking spray.
- Combine granulated sugar with cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Scoop 1 tablespoon of cookie dough and place in the shallow bowl. Using your hands, coat the dough with the cinnamon sugar and shape into balls.
- Place cookie dough on prepared cookie sheet leaving about 3 inches between each cookie. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a rack to cool.
Calories from Fat 2 (2%)
(0%)Total Fat 0g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 29g
(3%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.