Festive Rice Stuffing
The tastes of tart green apples and sweet raisins complement the undertone of curry in this versatile stuffing. Use Wehani rice or any unseasoned rice blend.
- 1 1/2 cups Wehani or rice blend
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 2 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbs medium curry powder
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups diced Granny Smith apple
- Rinse rice and let drain. Bring water and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in rice, cover, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Transfer the cooked rice to a strainer and rinse quickly with cold water to stop cooking. Drain the rice thoroughly, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- As the rice cooks, heat oil in a small skillet until hot but not smoking. Add onion and toss to coat with oil. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Reduce heat and continue to cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 8 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium. Add garlic, celery, mushrooms, and curry. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms have softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in apple juice and cook just to blend.
- Add the mushroom mixture along with the raisins and apples to the rice and stir to combine. Reheat stuffing in a 350F (175C) oven for 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve the rice as a side dish or as a stuffing for bell peppers, prebaked winter squash, or eggplant.
Calories from Fat 15 (7%)
(3%)Total Fat 2g
(1%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 44g
(10%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.