Fig-Cocoa Glazed Beef Tenderloin
Juicy beef tenderloin is accompanied by a smoky fig steak sauce. Make a side of mashed potatoes to soak up the sauce.
- Fig-Cocoa Glaze8 oz dried California Mission figs, stemmed and quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 2 Tbs vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbs cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 lbs fully-trimmed beef tenderloin
- Mission Fig Steak Sauce8 oz dried California Mission figs, stemmed and quartered
- 2 guajillo, ancho, or New Mexico chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1/2 white onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart water
- 1 chipotle chile canned in adobo (or 1 Tbs smoked chile sauce)
- 1 1/2 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Fig-Cocoa GlazeCombine quartered figs and garlic in 1-quart saucepan. Stir in water, sugar, and vinegar; bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 30 minutes or until figs are soft; cool.
- Put into blender container and add remaining ingredients; process until smooth, adding water as needed to make a slightly thick paste. Store in refrigerator.
- TenderloinPreheat oven to 400F. Rub tenderloin generously with Fig-Cocoa Glaze and arrange on rack in roasting pan. Place in oven and roast at 400F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300F and roast for 20 minutes more or until internal temperature is 145F for rare to 160F for medium.
- Mission Fig Steak SauceCombine quartered figs, chiles, onion, garlic, bay leaf, and water in 2-quart saucepan; heat to a boil and simmer gently, about 30 minutes or until figs are soft; cool.
- Turn into blender container and add remaining ingredients; process until smooth, adding water as needed to desired consistency. Store in refrigerator.
- To serve, let tenderloin stand for 10 to 15 minutes when done. Then, slice and serve with Mission Fig Steak Sauce on the side.
Calories from Fat 142 (41%)
(24%)Total Fat 16g
(18%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrate 30g
(19%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.