Crunchy firecracker shrimp pair wonderfully with hot pepper dipping sauce.
- 12 large shrimp in the shell
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt, divided
- 4 sheets spring roll wrappers
- 24 carrot strips (3 1/4 inch)
- 1 egg beaten
- Dipping Sauce1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Removing the shells and leaving the tail intact, make a deep cut lengthwise down the back of each shrimp; wash out the sand vein. Place warm water in a bowl and add the salt, stir to desolve. Place the shrimp in the salt water and swirl. Leave the shrimp in the salt water for 5 minutes, then rinse with cold water, drain, and pat dry on paper towels. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt.
- Cut each spring roll wrapper into thirds, making 3 long, narrow strips.
- Place the carrot strips in a small bowl, sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, and set aside.
- Brush the egg at the top of the shrimp. Place 2 carrot strips in the slit of each shrimp. Brush each spring roll strip with egg and roll each shrimp tightly in the spring roll strip, with the egg holding it together. The tail of the shrimp should be protruding from one end and the carrot from the other - to resemble a firecracker! Continue the process until all the wrappers are rolled with the shrimp and carrots.
- To make the dipping sauce, in a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and hot pepper sauce. Set aside.
- In a wok, heat the vegetable oil to 350 F. Fry the shrimp rolls until golden brown, about 2 minutes, turning 2 to 3 times. Drain on paper towels. Serve with dipping sauce.
Recipe courtesy of the National Fisheries Institute
Calories from Fat 699 (74%)
(121%)Total Fat 79g
(48%)Saturated Fat 10g
Polyunsaturated Fat 9g
Monounsaturated Fat 40g
Total Carbohydrate 41g
(10%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.