Garlic and Mushroom Spaghetti
This simple dinner has appetizingly clean flavors. Add toasted French bread and you have a meal that's ready for family or company.
- 8 oz uncooked spaghetti, broken in half
- 1/2 cup hot cooking water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbs jarred minced garlic
- 1 6-ounce package sliced mushrooms (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups bite-size chunks rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup chopped Roma tomatoes (about 2 large tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup already-shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs finely chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions until firm to the bite. Use a ladle or glass measuring cup to carefully remove 1/2 cup of the hot water from the pot. Set aside. Drain the spaghetti and rinse in hot water, shaking off the excess. Set the spaghetti aside.
- Combine the oil and garlic in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to lose their juice and turn gold, about 4 minutes. Raise the heat to medium-high. Add the chicken, capers, salt, and red pepper flakes, if using. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the reserved pasta liquid and then the spaghetti, and stir well to combine. Cook for 3 minutes to heat through, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir in the tomatoes, cheese, and parsley. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Rotisserie Chickens to the Rescue by Carla Fitzgerald Williams. Copyright 2003 Carla Fitzgerald Williams. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Calories from Fat 216 (38%)
(37%)Total Fat 24g
(27%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 13g
Total Carbohydrate 49g
(14%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.