Greek Lentil Soup
Lentils combine with Greek herbs (oregano and mint) for a delicious soup the whole family will enjoy. Serve with pita or flat bread.
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups beef broth, (canned or made with bouillion)
- 2 cups lentils, uncooked, rinsed and drained
- 14 1/2 oz tomatoes, stewed, chopped (one 14.5-ounce can)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried mint leaves, (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 10 oz frozen spinach, chopped, thawed
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and saute garlic, celery, carrots and onions for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add water, broth and lentils. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped tomatoes and juice along with the seasonings (oregano, mint, salt, and pepper). Add spinach and simmer uncovered for another 15-20 minutes.
Calories from Fat 43 (13%)
(8%)Total Fat 5g
(7%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 53g
(110%)Dietary Fiber 27g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.