Grilled Asparagus with Romesco Sauce
Sun-dried tomatoes, almonds and garlic make a traditional Romesco sauce and a delicious accompaniment to grilled asparagus.
- 1- 1/2 lbs jumbo fresh asparagus, trimmed
- olive oil, as needed
- salt, as needed
- freshly ground pepper, as needed
- 3/4 cup drained, roughly chopped roasted red bell pepper (from a jar)
- 2 Tbs roughly chopped sundried tomato (packed in oil, drained)
- 2 1-inch slices baguette (about 1 ounce), lightly toasted, torn into pieces
- 2 Tbs almonds, blanched, slivered, and toasted
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Tbs white wine vinegar
- 1/2 Tbs chopped parsley, preferably Italian flat leaf
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper or to taste
- cool water, as needed
- Blanch asparagus in a frying pan large enough to hold asparagus in one layer. Bring approximately 3 inches of water to a boil. Stir in 1 tablespoon salt. Add asparagus. Cook at a medium boil until slightly underdone, about 3 minutes, depending on thickness. Drain on paper towel; cool.
- To grill, brush asparagus with olive oil. On an outdoor or a stove-top grill over medium high heat, grill asparagus, turning frequently, until lightly browned and fork tender, about minutes. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree roasted red bell pepper and next 8 ingredients. With machine running, drizzle in 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil. If necessary, thin with 1 tablespoon water at a time until a thick, sauce-like consistency is achieved. Reserve.
- Recipe can be made ahead to this point. Refrigerate cooled asparagus and sauce, tightly sealed, if serving more than 2 hours later. Return to room temperature before continuing.
- To serve, arrange asparagus on a serving platter or individual plates; serve with Romesco sauce.
Calories from Fat 54 (60%)
(9%)Total Fat 6g
(2%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 9g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.