Grilled Mushroom, Ham, and Basil Skewers
Perfect for the grill, smoked ham adds the flame-grilled flavor to the button mushrooms.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 oz sliced smoked ham or Canadian bacon, cut in 16 (1-inch wide) strips
- 16 fresh basil or small spinach leaves
- 1 lb white button mushrooms
- 1 medium-sized red or green bell pepper, cut in 1-inch squares
- Preheat outdoor grill or broiler. In a small bowl combine oil, vinegar, salt and black pepper; set aside.
- On four 8-inch or eight 4-inch skewers alternately thread ham, basil, mushrooms and bell pepper, folding ham and basil to fit on skewers. Brush generously on all sides with oil and vinegar mixture. Grill or broil 4 to 5 inches from heat source until mushrooms are golden, turning occasionally, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Place skewers on a serving platter, brush with any remaining oil-vinegar mixture. Serve over steamed rice sprinkled with chopped parsley, if desired.
Calories from Fat 175 (77%)
(31%)Total Fat 20g
(15%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrate 7g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.