Grilled Whole Chicken with Starfruit Cranberry Sauce
Jalapeno gives this whole roasted chicken a bit of heat while the cranberry sauce makes for a festive presentation.
- 1 whole roasting chicken, about 4 pounds
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1.4 cup cilantro
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 1 Tbs dried oregano
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 orange, quartered
- 1 white onion, peeled and quartered
- Starfruit Cranberry Sauce1 1/4 cups orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ripe starfruit, diced
- 1 package cranberries (12 ounces), rinsed
- 1 Tbs grated fresh ginger
- In food processor or blender, place garlic cloves, red onion, jalapeno pepper, parsley, cilantro, salt, cumin, oregano, orange juice and vegetable oil. Puree thoroughly. Set marinade aside. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Gently insert fingers under skin, loosening as much as possible without puncturing over breast, thighs and drumsticks. Place chicken in plastic oven roasting bag. Rub marinade into meat beneath the loosened skin and into body and neck cavities. Place quartered orange and quartered onion pieces inside body cavity. Pour any remaining marinade over chicken and close bag tightly. Refrigerate overnight. Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry.
- Grill chicken over charcoal (or gas - medium heat) medium-hot coals until skin is deep golden brown and meat is cooked through, about 1 hour and 40 minutes (or about 25 minutes per pound.) Internal temperature should reach 180 F when done, measured in the deepest part of the thigh, not touching the bone. (Or, roast chicken 90 minutes at 375 F.)
- While the chicken cooks, prepare Starfruit Cranberry Sauce by combining orange juice and sugar in heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring. Reduce heat to simmer; cook 5 minutes. Stir in starfruit, cranberries and ginger. Simmer, stirring, until berries pop, about 8 minutes. Set aside to cool. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Calories from Fat 189 (20%)
(33%)Total Fat 21g
(14%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrate 133g
(22%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.