Healthier Chicken Florentine
The creamy classic is made healthier with low-fat cheese, skim milk, olive oil, and whole wheat flour. And it still tastes great.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbs whole wheat flour
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 Tbs skim milk
- 1/4 tsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup fat-free ricotta
- 2 Tbs low-fat Parmesan
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium pot bring quinoa and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Place whole wheat flour in a bowl and dredge chicken until it is covered on all sides. In a medium oven-safe skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add chicken and saute for about 5 minutes per side until the outside is no longer pink. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute shallots and garlic until tender; set aside 1 tablespoon of cooked shallots and garlic for the quinoa. Add sundried tomatoes and parsley to the pan and cook for 1 minute more.
- Pour in white wine, being sure to scrape the bottom to deglaze the pan. Bring liquid to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes to cook off some of the alcohol. Carefully add milk a half teaspoon at a time to prevent it from curdling. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Whisk in corn starch and continue to simmer until sauce thickens. Return chicken breasts to the pan, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Top the chicken breasts with spinach, ricotta cheese, and Parmesan. Place skillet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, fluff the quinoa and add reserved shallots and onions, 1 tablespoon of parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over a bed of quinoa.
Calories from Fat 61 (16%)
(10%)Total Fat 7g
(7%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 21g
(5%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.