High Desert Tamale Tart
For this savory and spicy tart, the pastry shell is made from cornmeal and masa harina (corn-based flour), similar to tamale dough.
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 (6 ounce) pasilla pepper, seeded and diced (1/2-inch)
- 6 oz yellow sunburst squash, wedged
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup olives, halved
- 1 Tbs lime juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 3/4 cups masa harina
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 Tbs unsalted butter, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup pureed black beans
- 1/3 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Heat canola oil in a medium sized saute pan over medium high heat. Add pasilla peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add squash and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes until tender. Stir in garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Remove from heat and mix in olives, lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine masa, cornmeal, chili powder, cumin and remaining salt. Mix in butter with a fork or pastry cutter until mixture resembles a coarse, crumbly meal. Gradually stir in water.
- Scrap dough into a lightly greased 10-inch tart pan and press evenly around the bottom and sides. Allow to cool and set for 10 minutes. Spread black bean puree on the bottom of the tart. Pour olive mixture over bean layer and sprinkle with cotija cheese.
- Bake in a 350oF degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then cut into 6 wedges.
Calories from Fat 109 (39%)
(19%)Total Fat 13g
(27%)Saturated Fat 6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 37g
(13%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.