Homemade Healthy Pizza
With the healthy whole wheat crust and veggie toppings, this recipe is good news for pizza lovers trying to watch their waistline.
- 1 lb Whole wheat fresh pizza dough (look for one with low calories and high fiber)
- 1 cup Low-fat pizza sauce (check the ingredients and make sure there's no added sugar! That's where all the unnecessary calories from pizza sauce comes from)
- 3/4 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 red onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup Baby spinach leaves
- 1 tomato (cut into thin slices)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (you don't have to use the whole cup - that's the max amount we have ever used)
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Lightly spray a pizza pan with cooking spray - use as the base to spread out the dough. One tip for spreading out the dough: use your hands (sprinkle flour on the dough and on your hands), knead it, and then spread it with the palms of your hands.
- Once the dough is spread out, top with pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle garlic, red pepper, onion, and tomato slices over the sauce.
- Top with grated Parmesan and spinach leaves.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes until the crust is golden-brown and the cheese is bubbling and slightly golden.
Calories from Fat 50 (26%)
(9%)Total Fat 6g
(12%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 27g
(3%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.