Island Chicken Paella
A paella is the perfect one-pan party dish, this version includes capers, green olives, and roasted red peppers.
- 2 lbs bone-in, skinless chicken drumsticks and thighs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 med onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 14.5 oz can, diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 14 oz cans, chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbs capers
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 Spanish olives (green with pimento), sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 large roasted red pepper, cut into strips
- In a large, deep, non-stick skillet or paella pan with cover, warm olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides; remove chicken and set aside. Add onion and garlic, sauteing until translucent.
- Stirring in rice, cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, water, capers, and cayenne pepper. Press chicken pieces down into the liquid.
- Cover pan and let liquid come to a slow simmer; reduce heat to very low. Let cook until rice is tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Top with olives and peas and stir very gently. Arrange the pepper strips on top of the paella. Cover pan again for 3 to 4 minutes, until peas are hot.
- Serve in shallow bowls.
Recipe courtesy of the National Chicken Council
Calories from Fat 86 (24%)
(15%)Total Fat 10g
(11%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 55g
(21%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.