Italian Beef & Cheese Calzone
Ground beef, peppers and pizza dough make this Italian classic a satisfying meal all by itself.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with onions, drained
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 Tbs cornmeal
- 1 package (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust dough
- Heat oven to 400F. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and bell pepper; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings. Stir in tomatoes and oregano; continue cooking 5 to 7 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Set aside.
- Sprinkle cornmeal evenly over rimmed baking sheet. Unroll pizza dough lengthwise on baking sheet, straightening edges of dough if necessary. Spoon beef filling over long half of dough, leaving 1-inch border on 3 sides. Gently lift and pull top half of dough over filling to enclose; pinch dough edges to seal.
- Bake in 400F oven 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Cut crosswise into 8 slices.
Calories from Fat 149 (30%)
(26%)Total Fat 17g
(35%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 50g
(9%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.