Key Lime Cactus Soda
Turn prickly pear cactus into a drink with a refreshing zing.
- 2 1/2 cups cane sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs fresh key lime zest
- Juice of10 key limes
- 2 cups prickly pear cactus, thorns removed and diced
- Pinch of salt
- Soda water
- In a large nonreactive saucepan combine sugar, lemon juice, key lime juice and zest, cactus, salt, and 1 ˝ cups of water.
- Bring liquid to a boil and simmer until sugar is dissolved and liquid thickens.
- Remove from heat and let steep 1 hour.
- Strain and discard cactus. Store syrup in a sealed bottle in the fridge. It can last up to two weeks.
- To make soda, pour 1 ˝ tablespoons of syrup over ice and mix with fresh seltzer water. Enjoy!
Calories from Fat 1 (2%)
(0%)Total Fat 0g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 12g
(3%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.