Kielbasa and Chicken Gumbo
Looking for the perfect gumbo recipe? Well, look no further. This Creole specialty is sure to delight the senses.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 lb kielbasa, or smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 12 oz can tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes, cut up
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups okra, sliced or 10 oz package frozen cut okra, thawed
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1 lb shrimp, medium, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp file powder, (optional)
- cooked rice, (optional)
- In a Dutch oven cook bacon until crisp; remove. Drain and crumble on paper toweling; set aside. Cook kielbasa and chicken in hot bacon drippings until chicken is browned. Remove kielbasa and chicken, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings in Dutch oven.
- Add flour to drippings; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 12-15 minutes or until a reddish-brown roux forms.
- Gradually stir in tomato juice and water. Add tomatoes and bouillon, stirring well. Add kielbasa, chicken, tomato sauce, okra, onion, green pepper, bay leaves, salt, red pepper and allspice; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves. Stir in file powder and bacon; mix well. Serve over hot cooked rice, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Ingredient Note: File powder is an integral part of Creole cooking. The seasonings is made in part from the dried ground leaves of the sassafras tree and has a woodsy flavor similar to root beer.
Serving Suggestion: Adjust seasonings for your family and serve over a bed of hot cooked rice and with a sweet cornbread.
Calories from Fat 195 (53%)
(34%)Total Fat 22g
(37%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrate 19g
(17%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.