Maple-Apple Sponge Custards
Tart apples and sweet maple syrup compliment each other perfectly.
- 1 1/2 cups Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 350F. Divide apples evenly among six, 6-oz greased custard cups, reserving a few pieces for garnish. Place cups in a baking pan.
- Mix sugar and flour in a medium bowl. Stir in egg yolks, milk, syrup, butter, and vanilla until blended; set aside.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until stiff but not dry; just until whites no longer slip when bowl is tilted.
- Gently but thoroughly fold yolk mixture into whites. Pour over apples, dividing evenly among custard cups.
- Place pan on rack in center of 350F oven; pour very hot water into pan to within 1/2 inch of top of cups. Bake until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove cups from water bath at once; cool on wire rack at least 10 minutes.
Calories from Fat 58 (32%)
(10%)Total Fat 7g
(17%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 26g
(2%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.