Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD & Liz Weiss, MS, RD
This recipe combines the classic flavors of Italy with fresh shellfish.
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
- 2 lbs mussels (choose fresh mussels that are tightly closed, and rinse them well under running water before cooking)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, wine, and parsley and bring to a simmer. Add the mussels and stir until combined with the tomato mixture. Cover and simmer until the mussels are open and cooked, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of the National Fisheries Institute
Calories from Fat 108 (35%)
(18%)Total Fat 12g
(9%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrate 18g
(9%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.