New York Gyro
A New World version of a classic Old World pita sandwich.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground sage
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 lb. lamb boneless leg, rolled and tied
- 4 whole wheat pita bread rounds, split
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- Yogurt Topping1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup seeded tomato, chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh oregano leaves
- 1 Tbs fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Combine salt, thyme, sage, paprika, and pepper. Rub spice mixture into roast.
- Place roast on rack in roasting pan.
- Roast in 325║F oven for 1 hour or to desired degree of doneness: 145║F for medium-rare,160║F for medium or 170║F for well. Remove from oven; cover with foil and let stand for 10 minutes. Internal temperature will rise approximately 10 degrees.
- Line pita pockets with spinach leaves and tomato slices.
- Thinly slice lamb and fill pitas.
- Dollop generously with yogurt topping.
- Yogurt ToppingIn bowl combine all ingredients.
- Cover and chill until serving time.
- If desired, topping may be prepared for 6 to 8 hours ahead and chilled until serving time.
Calories from Fat 161 (45%)
(28%)Total Fat 18g
(38%)Saturated Fat 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 23g
(15%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.