Philly Pork Sandwiches
Caramelized onions pair nicely with the sweet flavors of the tender pork.
- 2 pork cube steaks (tenderized slices of boneless bottom round) cut in half, about 1-1/4 pounds total
- 2 Tbs garlic pepper
- 1 Tbs butter
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 4 large sandwich buns
- Caramelized Onions:4 cups yellow onions
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbs sugar
- Season steaks on both sides with garlic pepper. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; melt butter and cook pork quickly, browning nicely on both sides, about 4-5 minutes on each side. Serve steaks in buns topped with some Caramelized Onions and slice of cheese.
- Caramelized Onions:Thinly slice 4 cups yellow onions; heat two teaspoons each butter and olive oil in large skillet; add onions and one tablespoon sugar and cook slowly over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are a rich golden brown, about 25 minutes. Onions can be made ahead of time, covered and refrigerated for 2-3 days. Reheat in microwave or reheat gently in skillet.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Calories from Fat 280 (46%)
(48%)Total Fat 31g
(64%)Saturated Fat 13g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 13g
Total Carbohydrate 43g
(19%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.