Pork and Barley Skillet Supper
- 4 boneless pork chops, 1-inch thick
- 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 14-1/2-oz. can chicken broth
- 1- 1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 7-oz. jar roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 2-1/2-oz. jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 Tbs minced fresh thyme OR 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium ovenproof skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil; add chops and brown on each side. Remove from heat; set aside. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil; add barley and celery and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until celery is tender. Add broth, corn, peppers, mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer; lower heat and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons parsley. Place chops on top of mixture; bake covered for 20 minutes until barley is tender. To serve, arrange chops on large serving platter. Spoon barley mixture onto the platter. Sprinkle the chops and barley mixture with the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Calories from Fat 65 (19%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(7%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 43g
(38%)Dietary Fiber 9g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.