Quick Mushroom and White Bean Stew
Cannellini beans are high in cholesterol-lowering fiber. Get a good helping of them in this hearty stew.
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 lb white button mushrooms, sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 2 cans (13 3/4 ounces each) ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut into bit-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white (cannellini) beans, drained
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepot, heat oil until hot. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic and thyme; cook and stir until onion is very tender and mushrooms are slightly golden, about 7 minutes. Add chicken broth, tomatoes with their liquid, and wine; bring to a boil; cover and simmer to blend flavors, about 15 minutes. In a small bowl, mash 1 cup of the beans until smooth; add to stew. Stir in remaining beans; heat until hot.
- Serve immediately with a mound of steamed rice, if desired.
Calories from Fat 55 (10%)
(10%)Total Fat 6g
(5%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 96g
(97%)Dietary Fiber 24g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.