Roasted Beet and Pearl Onion Salad with Spinach, Pecans, and Goat Cheese
A vegetarian favorite for the beet-lover who misses Mom's homemade pickled beets.
- Salad2 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 large beets
- 30 pearl onions
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 6 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- Dressing1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry beets and remove stems. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place on a tin-foil-lined baking dish and cover with additional foil.
- Roast in the oven for 1 to 2 hours until beets are easily pierced with a fork. Remove foil and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, blanch the pearl onions in a pot of boiling water for 1 minute. Strain and place in an ice bath. Trim the root end of the onion and remove the skin. Toss the onions in remaining tablespoon of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread the onions on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, flipping onions and rotating pan half-way through. Remove from heat, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, and maple syrup. Whisk until emulsified.
- When the beets have cooled, remove skin and chop into bite-sized pieces. Toss chopped beets, spinach, pecans, and pearl onions in reserved vinaigrette. Top the salad with crumbled goat cheese.
Calories from Fat 225 (74%)
(40%)Total Fat 26g
(31%)Saturated Fat 6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrate 13g
(17%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.