Roasted Red Pepper
- 6 red bell peppers
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch basil, stems tied together, leaves chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 garlic cloves
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place the red peppers under the broiler, 4 inches from the heat source, and char on all sides (or roast peppers over the flame of a gas burner). When blackened on all sides, remove from the broiler and place in a paper bag for 5 minutes to steam. Remove them from the bag, peel the charred skin, halve, seed, and chop into 1/2-inch pieces; set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and sweat for 4 minutes, until tender.
- Add the thyme, bay leaves, salt, and cayenne and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Add 1/2 of the chopped red peppers, the stock, and basil stems and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the heavy cream and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until the cream is reduced by half.
- Transfer the garlic cream to a blender, add the remaining roasted red peppers, and puree until smooth.
- Place the puree in a pot, stir, and heat through.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the basil leaves.
- To serve, remove the bay leaves and basil stems and ladle the soup into bowls.
Recipe courtesy of The Daily Soup Cookbook by Leslie Kaul, Bob Spiegel, Carla Ruben, and Peter Siegel with Robin Vitetta-Miller. Copyright 1999 Carla Ruben, Bob Spiegel and Peter Siegel. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated using a serving size of 1 cup.
Calories from Fat 74 (47%)
(13%)Total Fat 8g
(23%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 18g
(17%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.