Savory Beef Stew with Roasted Vegetables
Fork-tender beef floats in broth alongside mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes.
- 1- 3/4 to 2 lbs beef for stew, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 can (13-3/4 to 14-1/2 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbs cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups cooked couscous
- Roasted Vegetables:12 medium mushrooms
- 6 plum tomatoes, quartered, seeded
- 3 small onions, quartered
- 1 1/2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1- 1/2 Tbs each olive oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown beef with garlic in batches; pour off drippings. Return beef to pan; season with pepper.
- Stir in broth and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile heat oven to 425F. Place vegetables in lightly oiled jelly roll pan. Drizzle with 1-1/2 tablespoons oil and vinegar; toss. Roast in 425F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into stew; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in vegetables and 2 teaspoons vinegar. Serve with couscous.
Recipe courtesy of the National Cattleman's Beef Association
Calories from Fat 204 (32%)
(35%)Total Fat 23g
(37%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Total Carbohydrate 81g
(28%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.