Shaved Leg of Lamb with Fresh Cherries, Pancetta and "Sugo Naturale"
Fresh cherries, chives, parsley, and pancetta intertwine with leg of lamb for a delightful summer's eve meal.
- 5 lb lamb leg (skinned or boneless)
- 1/2 lb carrot
- 1/2 lb onion
- 1/2 lb celery root
- 2 heads of garlic
- 4 sprigs rosemary (minced)
- 3 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- Lamb "Sugo Naturale"1/2 cup lamb drippings from roast
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup strained fat from rendered pancetta
- 2 Tbs raspberry vinegar
- Garnish for Lamb3/4 lb pancetta (Italian bacon)
- 3/4 lb cherries (pitted)
- 1/4 lb chives (minced)
- 1/4 lb parsley (minced)
- Tie lamb leg tightly with butcher twine and peel and cut vegetables into one-inch pieces. Half the garlic cloves.
- Lay the lamb leg on top of vegetables and garlic in a small roasting pan and roast at 200F for 6 hours or until interior temperature reaches 150F .
- Remove lamb from pan and let cool in refrigerator. Reserve drippings from lamb for sauce (approximately 1/2 cup).
- Once lamb is cool slice as thin as possible (approximately 1/16 inch). Toss sliced lamb with dijon mustard, minced rosemary and grapeseed oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- For Lamb "Sugo Naturale"Take the roasting pan with the lamb drippings and vegetables and strain through a fine strainer. Discard vegetables.
- Return drippings to roasting pan and turn heat to medium on stovetop. Add sugar, red wine and raspberry vinegar. Reduce half way and strain again into a small saucepan. Top with pancetta fat. Set aside.
- For GarnishCut pancetta into 1/4 inch squares. Slowly cook pancetta in a saute pan on low heat until crispy.
- Strain through strainer and save the fat (approximately 1/2 cup). Toss the cherries with the warm pancetta and sprinkle the chives and parsley and sliced lamb to garnish.
- Place lamb in warm oven to quickly reheat. Pour "Sugo Naturale" over warmed lamb. Sprinkle the chives and parsley over the cherries, pancetta and sliced lamb to garnish.
Calories from Fat 353 (45%)
(60%)Total Fat 39g
(48%)Saturated Fat 10g
Polyunsaturated Fat 11g
Monounsaturated Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrate 35g
(15%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.