Shredded Pork with Roasted Tomatoes & Chipotle Peppers
Simmer this meal on the stovetop during the day and have ready as part of a buffet for the big game or next party.
- Seasoned Pork2 lbs pork shoulder roast or 1-1/2 pounds boneless, cut into 3-inch chunks
- 1 small white onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Roasted Tomato & Chipotle Sauce2 lbs plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp canola oil , plus additonal oil for roasting tomatoes
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz Mexican chorizo, cooked and drained
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 oz chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, pureed
- salt, to taste
- 32 small fried corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup crema (Mexican cream)
- 1 ripe avocado, cut up
- Place pork, onion and garlic in 2-quart saucepot; cover completely with water and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Drain meat (discard garlic and onion). When cool enough to handle, remove bones, shred pork and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Cut tomatoes in half and discard stems and seeds. Place in shallow pan and brush with oil. Roast in 375 F oven 20 to 30 minutes or until tomato skins slip off easily. Discard skins and chop tomatoes.
- Heat oil in medium skillet. Cook and stir onion and garlic over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes, cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until tomatoes are very saucy. Add remaining sauce ingredients and shredded pork and simmer 2 to 3 more minutes or until mixture is well blended and heated through.
- Serve hot meat mixture on tostaditas with crema and avocado.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Calories from Fat 61 (61%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(10%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 4g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.