Shrimp & Filet with Peanut Ancho Chile Sauce
Citrus and spiciness are just two of the flavors that combine to satisfying effect in this interesting take on surf and turf.
- 1 lb shrimp
- 4 5 to 6 oz filet mignon steaks
- 2 Tbs tamari or soy sauce
- Peanut Ancho Chile Sauce2-3 Ancho chile peppers (dried poblano peppers)
- hot water
- 3 Tbs rice vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp ginger, fresh shredded
- 1/2 tsp lime peel, fresh shredded
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 2 Tbs peanut butter
- 1 Tbs tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbs lime juice
- 1 Tbs cilantro, chopped
- Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails on. Trim steaks if needed and refrigerate. Combine 2 Tbsp tamari sauce and olive oil. Set aside.
- Peanut Ancho Chile Sauce (yield: 2 cups)Cover dried peppers with hot water and soak until soft, 30 to 60 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Remove stems and seeds; chop and set aside.
- Bring vinegar, beef broth, ginger and lime peel to a boil. Add garlic and chopped chili peppers; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, adding more broth if needed.
- Puree in blender or food processor with 1/2 cup coconut milk; add more milk if needed. Return pureed mixture to saucepan. Add remaining coconut milk, brown sugar, peanut butter and 1 Tbsp tamari sauce. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture blends and thickens slightly. Stir in lime juice. Keep warm.
- To Cook Shrimp and FiletsBrush shrimp and filets with tamari and olive oil; let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. Grill or broil filets 3 to 4 inches from heat, 4 or 5 minutes per side, brush with tamari and olive oil while cooking. Serve on warm dinner plate with 2 or 3 Tbsp sauce. Fresh herb garnish, optional.
Recipe courtesy of the National Fisheries Institute
Calories from Fat 221 (39%)
(39%)Total Fat 25g
(60%)Saturated Fat 12g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrate 24g
(10%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.